Sunday, September 26, 2010

A whole dreamy day

Last week I had lunch with my grandparents in the city. As they walked me back to my office, my grandfather pointed to a nondescript building with a corporate logo and tinted glass.

In the 1950s, it was the hotel of choice for Greeks in town for a wedding.

Granddad recalled meeting my grandmother out the front when they were still just kids, and spending a whole dreamy day showing her around the city.

She was wearing a red and white dress she'd made herself, he says, and she smiles. He knew she loved oysters, so at lunchtime he took her to the oyster bar downstairs at David Jones.

It cost him four shillings - they could have gone to the pictures four times instead - but of course, it was worth it.

Now when I see that building I don't see a bland corporate office. I see my grandmother as a young girl, standing out the front in a red and white dress, about to experience one of the happiest days of her life.

4 comments:

  1. That is lovely. Don't you own a red and white dress? Or am I thinking of Amy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, I wore a red and white(ish) dress to your wedding - that could be it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that must be it, cause I thought the same thing when I read it.

    That is a beautiful memory! :)

    ReplyDelete