Saturday, September 25, 2010

Treasures

A lady I know had her handbag returned to her after it had been stolen... thirty five years previously! It was like one of those little time capsules, full of ID with a photo of her younger self, a letter that she had been sent, make-up, etc.

This reminded me of what I used to do as a child. I would get around to cleaning my room every one or two years, and I loved finding old handbags full of things that I'd forgotten about. So I started to plant things for myself to find a few years in the future. Some money (a nice surprise!), a lipstick, a little note, etc.

If I lost my handbag today and had it returned to me in 20 years, I would find five types of foreign money, tic tacs, a camera with a memory card full of photos, a beanie, panadol, an Oyster card, and bandaids.

A treasure trove!

3 comments:

  1. I don't have a handbag, but I have pockets, and if I had a jacket or pair of jeans returned to me after 20 years... I'd probably just have several handfuls of receipts. I need to start keeping useful things instead of rubbish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the beginnings of a children's story! Once upon a time a little girl found memories could be attached to ordinary, everyday objects and safely stored, for months or even years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what a brilliant story! We should write it :)

    Japh - your jacket or jeans would also have buckets of change!

    ReplyDelete