Monday, September 20, 2010

One choice too many

I guess it was only a matter of time - euthanasia is back on the parliamentary agenda.

The more I think about this issue, the more strongly I feel about it.

Even if we could somehow ensure the option of inducing death would never cause anyone to feel pressured or guilt-tripped into making that choice - which we couldn't - I'd still be against it.

Even we could be sure it wouldn't lead to a survival-of-the-fittest mentality that deems people who are past a certain point a liability, and even if we could be sure it wouldn't compromise funding for quality palliative care - I'd still be against it.

Caring for someone who is dying is difficult enough when the focus is on making them as comfortable as possible.

I worry that inviting people to choose whether or not they should end their life sooner - and expecting doctors to offer advice if not help - would only make this process more complicated, upsetting and guilt-ridden for everyone involved.

It's not that I don't feel for people who desperately want their pain or the pain of a loved one to end, and it's not that some individual case studies don't make me question my stance. It's just that I don't see this as the answer.

Most importantly of all, I'd argue that the assumption we all have "the right to die" is based on a presupposition that warrants intense scrutiny.

5 comments:

  1. I have always found it difficult to say euthanasia should be illegal, because I don't have a loved one going through an extremely painful and debilitating terminal illness, and I'm not going through it myself. I find it hard to even imagine what that must be like.

    I understand the arguments you have againt euthanasia, but I think an argument could be made for allowing it on a case by case basis... where the pain and suffering are unbearable. It seems almost cruel to force someone to carry on in that state when nothing can be done to help them and they just want it to end.

    At the same time, I can see the dangers in people making a choice to be euthanised out of feeling like a burden to others, or feeling pressured or guilted into it. It isn't a straightforward issue for me at all (and usually I have such strong opinions!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not died. not once. I have not come close. I have seen people die. I have seen death in many shapes and forms. I am not an expert. But i know that death is not romantic. Dying is not one long last breath celebrating the life that was. It is not something we want to watch slowly unravel.

    'Death is the cessation of biological functions that sustain a living organism'. The failing of the body to sustain life. The failing of the organs that we rely on. I have not experienced the failing of my organs. I imagine that it would be nothing like the life that i know.

    We will all die. I hope that I will have the luxury of not being forewarned, of not living through my prolonged process of dying. We do not all have this luxury. Some people see it coming.

    Death is something we do not have control over. This works when it creeeps up behind you and takes you by surprise. But I imagine when you are forced to watch it, in slow motion. To watch it chip away at life and slowly replace the pieces with death. With suffering. With pain. I imagine that this might be unbearable. In a perfect world this would not happen. But it does. The world is far from perfect.

    In an imperfect world do we have the right to die? This seems a strange question, afterall death is not so much a right but a guarantee, it's in the contract of life, we do not live forever. Our 'biological functions' will inevitably fail. The real question i guess is should we have the right to choose when? Should we be allowed an element of control when the odds are stacked so heavily against us? Can we give up before our physical being? Or should we be forced to see it through to the end?

    I think it would be a brave person who could confidently answer these questions without at least considering the lives of those involved...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it would be a brave person who could confidently answer these questions under their own name, rather than hiding behind Anonymous.

    Emma, turn Anonymous off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em - Thanks as always for your measured thoughts.

    Anon - Firstly, I apologise if this post gave you the impression I care more about an issue than I care about people. I guess we just have different worldviews and different ideas about what's best for individuals and society.

    If the experience of a painful death is a prerequisite for having an opinion about euthanasia legislation, I suppose most of us should withhold judgement. But I'd be wary of basing any ethical stance on experience alone. I'd also continue to worry that the voice of those who experience - and succumb to - pressure to end their lives is one that could never be heard.

    Jason - I can see why you dislike anonymous posts, but I appreciate the time the human behind this one took to respond :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those interested in further reading: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/euthanasia-question-needs-wider-discussion-20101007-169kx.html

    ReplyDelete