Thursday, September 9, 2010

Counting down the days

A couple of years ago, my husband made a website to count down the days till a certain job was over.

He hadn't given it a second thought until a few days ago, when he glanced at the analytics.

Apparently there's a market out there for counting down to (or up from) events, because thousands of random strangers have created a total of 16,000 countdowns (and ups).

There are countdowns to babies, weddings and holidays, there's a countdown to deer season (71 days, 0 hours, 59 minutes, 58 seconds), one to retirement (806 days, 1 hour, 0 minutes, 48 seconds) and one to going home (0 days, hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds).

It's never been advertised but more than 500 people visit the site each day. I'm both fascinated and disturbed.

countdowndays.com

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'd forgotten about that site - what's the address again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japh has created a countdown til we arrive back in Australia! (84 days, 11 hours, 4 mins and 4 seconds) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 84 days sounds like forever Em!! I'd love to create a countdown until we move house, except that I still don't know when we're moving. I could do one til I start work again but that would just stress me out as it goes down. Hmmm... to think of something else I can make one about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, if you haven't already found it, it's countdowndays.com

    I have a tendency to spend too much time counting down to things and not enough time in the moment, so I have to resist the temptation to go countdown crazy. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not just you, it's me too! :)

    ReplyDelete